But, you know, the drink menu showed up, and I was instantly taken with the intriguing Pimenton Cucumber Gimlet. (Hendrick's Gin! Muddled cucumbers! Dusting of pimenton! GIMLET. How can you lose?) I grant you that it was likely not the best choice on essentially an empty stomach, but I stand by it, by which I mean, it was delicious. If incredibly tipsy-making. (Did I mention I don't drink so often? And my tolerance is incredibly low, as a result?)
At some point, one of J's and my friends (Is that grammatically sound? IS THAT EVEN ENGLISH? It does not sound right, I tell you what) emailed me, J, and another friend to ask a question (about Twitter, of all things), and as the replies started rolling in, I attempted to email J directly, saying "Whoa. I am going to have to discuss this later; I'm a bit uncharacteristically overserved at the moment, and my input to this conversation will probably be more effective once I'm home and the effects of these here spirits have worn off. We shall be hailing a cab anon, my love!" Well, at least I thought I had conveyed that general message. This is what I actually sent him. And the rest of the (mercifully small!) group:
J was still laughing about this when I arrived home, and while I acknowledged the humor, I couldn't help but notice how...COMPARATIVELY LAME this particular event was, in light of the alcohol-fueled idiocy of my youth. Granted, the peak of such idiocy was nearly 10 years ago, but still. Let's take a look:
Metalia: The College Years
- Weepy and poor quality rendition of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" during open mike night at dive bar.
- "I can do it! I CAN DO IT!"-intensive, stubborn insistence that I could reenact the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade "leap of faith" from three stairs above a concrete floor. (I chose...poorly.)
- Anything directly or indirectly involving amaretto, and me.
- Crazed excitement upon spotting Liev Schrieber walking his dog in the village, subsequently screaming to him from cab...only to realize I didn't remember anything he was in at the time.
- "Mechanical bull? Why NOT?"
- With help from friends, absconding with large decorative potted plant from college apartment hallway; followed by crisis of conscience, and returning of said plant five minutes later with note reading "I am sorry to all those who missed me. Love, Plant."
- Sending a dumb email.
- Hmmm. Yep, that's basically it.